Limited Time Offer: Save 10% on all 2021 and 2022 Premium Study Packages with promo code: BLOG10    Select your Premium Package »

Defining Properties of Probability

Defining Properties of Probability

Defining properties of a probability refer to the rules that constitute any given probability. These are:

(I) The probability of an event is always a number between 0 and 1, inclusively.

$$ 0 \le P(E_i) \le 1 \quad \quad  \text{for i} = 1,2…n $$

A ‘P’ followed by Ei in parentheses is interpreted as the probability of an event Ei. We cannot have a negative probability or probability greater than 1 (100%). There is nothing like more certain than certain!

(II) The sum of all probabilities of all events = 1, provided the events are mutually exclusive and exhaustive.

$$ \sum { P\left( { E }_{ i } \right) =1 } \quad \quad \text{for i} = 1,2…n $$

Candidates should note that if the events are not mutually exclusive, the total probability would be greater than 1. Similarly, if the events are not exhaustive, the total probability would be less than 1 (some events would be left out).

Example

Suppose we toss a fair coin. The only possible outcomes are either ahead or a tail. Each outcome has a probability of 0.5. Therefore,

$$ P(H) + P(T) = 0.5 + 0.5 = 1 $$

Obtaining ahead precludes obtaining a tail. Thus the two events are mutually exclusive. Similarly, there is no other possible outcome apart from a head or a tail. Therefore, the two events are exhaustive.

Empirical Probability

An empirical probability is a probability that results from analyzing actual past data. For example, if we assembled the returns earned by a stock for the last 25 years and used them to make future forecasts, then we have employed an empirical approach.

One drawback about empirical probabilities is that they rely on past performance, which is not always indicative of future performance. Certain events could occur in the future, leading to drastic changes in returns.

Subjective Probabilities

Subjective probabilities usually reflect personal belief or judgment. Thus, analysts may rely on their personal experience and judgment when estimating future performance.

This approach is subject to personal flaws and talents. Therefore, the probabilities churned out may not be very accurate and are likely to differ, even among fund managers working for the same company.

A Priori Probabilities

A priori probabilities are subjective, deductive, and based on reasoning. For example, suppose we establish that a fund manager has an 80% chance of securing a new job in a certain company. The 80% probability could have resulted from either subjective judgment or an empirical approach. Let’s assume that the fund manager has only one competitor. If we apply deductive reasoning in this scenario, then we would conclude that the competitor has a 20% chance of securing the job.

 

Reading 8 LOS 3b: identify the two defining properties of probability, including mutually exclusive and exhaustive events, and compare and contrast empirical, subjective, and a priori probabilities;

Quantitative Methods – Learning Sessions

Featured Study with Us
CFA® Exam and FRM® Exam Prep Platform offered by AnalystPrep

Study Platform

Learn with Us

    Subscribe to our newsletter and keep up with the latest and greatest tips for success
    Online Tutoring
    Our videos feature professional educators presenting in-depth explanations of all topics introduced in the curriculum.

    Video Lessons



    Sergio Torrico
    Sergio Torrico
    2021-07-23
    Excelente para el FRM 2 Escribo esta revisión en español para los hispanohablantes, soy de Bolivia, y utilicé AnalystPrep para dudas y consultas sobre mi preparación para el FRM nivel 2 (lo tomé una sola vez y aprobé muy bien), siempre tuve un soporte claro, directo y rápido, el material sale rápido cuando hay cambios en el temario de GARP, y los ejercicios y exámenes son muy útiles para practicar.
    diana
    diana
    2021-07-17
    So helpful. I have been using the videos to prepare for the CFA Level II exam. The videos signpost the reading contents, explain the concepts and provide additional context for specific concepts. The fun light-hearted analogies are also a welcome break to some very dry content. I usually watch the videos before going into more in-depth reading and they are a good way to avoid being overwhelmed by the sheer volume of content when you look at the readings.
    Kriti Dhawan
    Kriti Dhawan
    2021-07-16
    A great curriculum provider. James sir explains the concept so well that rather than memorising it, you tend to intuitively understand and absorb them. Thank you ! Grateful I saw this at the right time for my CFA prep.
    nikhil kumar
    nikhil kumar
    2021-06-28
    Very well explained and gives a great insight about topics in a very short time. Glad to have found Professor Forjan's lectures.
    Marwan
    Marwan
    2021-06-22
    Great support throughout the course by the team, did not feel neglected
    Benjamin anonymous
    Benjamin anonymous
    2021-05-10
    I loved using AnalystPrep for FRM. QBank is huge, videos are great. Would recommend to a friend
    Daniel Glyn
    Daniel Glyn
    2021-03-24
    I have finished my FRM1 thanks to AnalystPrep. And now using AnalystPrep for my FRM2 preparation. Professor Forjan is brilliant. He gives such good explanations and analogies. And more than anything makes learning fun. A big thank you to Analystprep and Professor Forjan. 5 stars all the way!
    michael walshe
    michael walshe
    2021-03-18
    Professor James' videos are excellent for understanding the underlying theories behind financial engineering / financial analysis. The AnalystPrep videos were better than any of the others that I searched through on YouTube for providing a clear explanation of some concepts, such as Portfolio theory, CAPM, and Arbitrage Pricing theory. Watching these cleared up many of the unclarities I had in my head. Highly recommended.